Thursday 9 August 2012

Tied Up With Strings (*by Night)

There was a girl in a white dress and black cotton sash who had a sensational long list that she titled simply, and in black cursive strokes: "Favourite Things". As she soared over glaciers and blue oceans with specs of icebergs, she couldn't help but make a couple of notes on her insatiable list. The girl noted down the smallest amusements: "These days I find myself washing my hands in stars" she thought as she emptied the Laurent-Perrier over her hands. This pastime, of course, encouraged dreaming, and she entertained all kinds of dreams. She even dreamt of these stars and how they could be stringed into a necklace. 


One day she followed the sun, for the sun was one of her favourite things. But then she ended up chasing a cloud instead. Which wasn't all that bad, as clouds featured on the near top of her list. She took all in her stride until she found shiny strings of stars. She stopped; thought she was dreaming, but then realized it was real. The roses bent in the rain at that moment, but the girl thought they bowed. The moon blinked, she mused, and as the curtain of rain opened up, and the leaves stopped clapping, the girl knew that this was no ordinary coincidence. She was lead there into a wonderment perhaps only meant for her and her list. And in that moment, when the handsome clocks began to remind others of time lost, she took out her list and added: "And the bridges in New York are made of such strings!" 


(I was that girl...lucky girl.)

So that was what was going through my head. Here is what was seen through my lens:


A more quiet moment in New York's subway. (New York September 2010)
It was my first time in New York's Subway. It wasn't rush hour, but the New Yorkers sure did rush by.

A Yellow cab passes by on a rain-glazed street.
As I walked up the stairs out of the subway, rain was pouring down. Brief though, the shower glazed the entire city. And as the sun was setting, the city lights slowly started to illuminate. And the Yellow Cabs became ever so prominent on the darker streets.

Brooklyn Bridge (New York, September 2010)
The first few steps on the Brooklyn Bridge already had NYC written all over it
My favourite travel shoes. Not the first time they got completely soaked on an adventure. (New York, September 2010)
My poor shoes had to endure yet another walk in the rain.
A ♥ hangs over lower Manhattan (where the World Trade Centre once stood). I adored this image. Needless to say, I fell in love with Brooklyn Bridge. (New York, September 2010)
The last raindrops fell and the rain cleared away like some grand show's diamond studded curtain to reveal a violet sky; a city cleansed beneath it. The sight: too beautiful. (♥)

Brooklyn Bridge (New York, September 2010).
I was beyond ecstatic. And surprised by the freshest air and milky light all around me.
Those rusts, deep oily colours and dark shadows: all part of the drama of a New York City sunset. (September 2010)
When I saw this, I melted, yet felt refreshed. Strange how such dirty streets can cleanse you so.
The strings of lights and colours were so enchanting. (New York, September 2010)
Brooklyn Bridge is seriously one of the most romantic (man-made) walks in the world. And when those lights start to sparkle, I am just one smitten kitten.

Walking on the bridge, you feel the vibration of the cars driving past. An energy so alive. (New York, September 2010)
As the cars sped past, I wondered if the drivers thought of this as a mundane trip.


My love for blurry shots. (New York, September 2010)
A light affair to sweep you off your feet. Unmistakably: the starry necklace of Manhattan Bridge in the background. 


And, I thought, I would like a necklace like that for Christmas. The clouds opened to reveal the beautiful moon. But I was already standing beneath the strings of stars. 

(This remains one of my favourite memories)
*t


No comments:

Post a Comment