Wednesday 1 August 2012

✉ Anna Bessonova

With my favourite Rhythmic Gymnast of all time: Anna Bessonova. (Stellenbosch, South Africa 2007)



TODAY, A MEMORY OF YESTERYEAR: 

It was a Thursday when I went to the park to walk the dogs with my friend. She asked, in accord with her usual standard of deep enquiry: "If you had all the money in the world on this particular day, what luxury would you afford yourself?". Without hesitation, I said that I would buy an airplane ticket and book a trip for the next Rhythmic World Championships which I speculated would have had to be the one in Japan. I was living in Cape Town that year and had never even been abroad or out of Southern Africa before. I told my friend that I have never seen International Rhythmic Gymnastics and that there are only a few opportunities to see the gymnasts who you really admire. And I haven't had the opportunity to see either Natalia Lipkovskaya or Elena Vitrichenko before they retired. I told my friend that I just couldn't bear the thought of not being able to see Anna Bessonova perform live. She is a Ukrainian Rhythmic gymnast whose grace and elegance and drama have brought me to tears in front of the mere television. 


After the walk that night, I had this urgent desire to see Anna Bessonova perform live. I am not sure whether it was a wish or a prayer, but it came from the deepest part of my heart. And that was all. 


The next day I got an out of the blue email from an artistic gymnast who was a team mate from an Intervarsity Competition we took part in a couple of years before. He thought that he would let me know of a Rhythmics Competition that would take place the next day in a town that was about an hour's drive out of Cape Town. He explained it as a competition between Ukraine seniors and Southern Africa. "Seniors" as we used to call them were usually at pre-Olympic level, so I immediately discarded the idea that Anna might perform. I decided not to go. Then my sister called. She wanted me to urgently visit her the next day because she wanted recipes (or something that could be emailed or faxed. Her town was an hour's drive in a different direction. I didn't feel like going all that way on a Saturday. And then, a second email: another school friend invited me to a dinner on Saturday night in the same town as the competition. Three invites  that seemed to chase me out of Cape Town for the day. I confirmed that I would go visit my sister first, then hang out at the competition before the dinner, because I really had nothing else to do to kill time. 


My sister ended up going with to the competition. My friend from the park agreed to meet up later. The gymnasts who were to perform lined up for the Opening, and as I figured there was no Anna or any international Ukrainian I could identify. Then someone peeked through the side curtain. For a moment my heart stopped, and I thought I saw Anna. But I was seated quite far away. And I thought it was wishful thinking. The next moment it was announced: "Current World Champion from Ukraine! Anna Bessonova!". And out she walked. Shocked, my tears began to run, and all I could think was: "Stop crying. You won't be able to see the live performance with tears in your eyes."


She was dancing with all the grace and all the passion in the world. Perfection in every turn and leap, handling the hoop as if it was a precious ring. I have never seen anything as lovely as her dancing in my life. Her performance exceeded my expectations. 


Afterwards I went to join the line of ten year olds to also ask for her autograph as a present to my best friend who also used to do the sport. I thanked her and asked if we could take a picture. And now I have this photograph. Not the best angle, or light, but when I look at it I cannot help but beam. To top it all off, my friends and I attended the dinner and hours after that my sister asked whether we could stop at the gas station for some chocolate milk. I walked in, and there she was again, buying loads of chocolates. In two days after wishing, I got to see her twice.


Anna retired as Rhythmic Gymnast. And even though all the other and new gymnasts will take part in this year's Olympic Games, I feel like I somehow got to see the best this sport has to offer. I do have my new favourites, but this memory is one that I hold dear.                       

- LONDON'S CALM, LONDON'S STORM -
*t

No comments:

Post a Comment