Thursday 16 August 2012

Tied Up With Strings (*by Day)

Completely smitten after my encounter with Brooklyn Bridge that night, I decided that I wanted to see the bridge again in the first light of the next morning. It was dark when I rose at 04:30. I just got ready and went in my own time. This was perhaps a little too early for some. But for me: I needed to fulfill this wish of simply seeing this bridge again at sunrise. Just another secret little mission. I walked down the Subway and walked onto the bridge just to see the red dot sun rise from the horizon. As if my journey was timed to precision. Timing seems to be accommodating in that way sometimes, and helps you realize your passions if you dare to rise early enough. I'll cross these bridges one by one. And so followed the day, passionately:  

The station on Lexington and 51st street. (New York, September 2010)
For the future nostalgist.

A cyclist crosses Brooklyn Bridge in the early morning sun.
And as the soft glow announced the break of day, New York suddenly got a whole new character. 

The sun rises over the East River.
As if the sun was rolling along Manhattan Bridge in that expected rhythm, the ball of fire almost not making it to the next height, but then reaches there in an almost pause, just to roll over the next suspension.

Somehow one tends to think of New York City in black and white, in steely greys, in canary yellow or in neon lights. Pastels never really came to mind.
My New York in colour.  

Cable.
I needed a good coffee here, but only had wild cherry gum. Note for next time: Grab a coffee before crossing such a long bridge. 

The Empire State and the Chrysler as seen from Brooklyn Bridge.
Suspense. 

On my way to Pier 17.
There is only < ONE WAY . 

Approaching Brooklyn Bridge.
The scale of this bridge is hard to describe. All I can say is I felt really really small. 

Stretches of bridges crossing the East. (Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg).
Stretches of bridges crossing the East. (Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg). Most suspension bridges look like musical instruments. I usually wonder what they would sound like if they could be played. 
I still regard this as one of the most-liked mornings of my life, even though I was by myself. The morning made me feel whole. To be awed in the presence of these structures is something I hold dear. It is now added to my insatiable list of "Favourite Things". 
*t  

No comments:

Post a Comment